What was I thinking?


Six months ago my family and I set out on a new adventure, we opened our home and our hearts to a new four footed friend.  Back in August, we started the process to bring an adorable Great Dane puppy into our lives. After weeks of searching we finally found the perfect baby, a European Blue  Great Dane. Next, came the waiting game. We waited for weeks. Finally, he was old enough to come home and our life would never be the same.


We named our beautiful boy Ares. We figured a dog like him deserved a powerful name. We should have known we were in for a wild ride when at 8 weeks old he already weighed 20 pounds. He continued to grow like a weed and at just four months old he was tipping the scale at 70 pounds, which is 20 pounds more than an average lab puppy weighs at six months.



The last 4 months have been filled with triumphs and tribulations, as well as just the craziness that comes with having a 70 pound puppy in the house.  We have gone through more dog food then I imagined possible. He eats around 3 pounds of food each day.  He is also on a grain free high protein diet to ensure proper growth (our food of choice is Blue Wilderness Large Breed Puppy), which means we spend a pretty penny each month on feeding him. Like most puppies his age he is a chewer, but because he is so big he is able to do more damage than most puppies. To date he has destroyed his temperpedic bed, at least 100 rolls of toilet paper, several toys (dog and child alike), the arm of a leather sofa, countless leaves, a vanity drawer, the edge of a coffee table, countless sippy cups, and he has even helped remove wall paper from the bathroom walls.  Although the chewing is frustrating I keep reminding myself this too shall pass, he is just a puppy and this is just a phase.





 Some days I find myself wondering what was I thinking bringing this massive baby into our already chaotic life but then this sweet gentle giant lays his heavy head in my lap (it is the only part of his body that will remotely fit into my lap anymore), nozzles me with his cold wet nose, and all the stress from that day melts away as he warms my heart.



 “A dog will teach you unconditional love. If you can have that in your life, things won’t be too bad.”
—Robert Wagner