Has the Digital Age Stifled our Vocabulary?

Words, the most powerful tool we carry with us everywhere we go. The very thing that can cut someone to the core or lift them to the clouds, depending on which ones you choose and how you put them together. Some are set to music others are arranged to rhyme. We use them as identifiers, to express feelings, to imply emphasis. At least, that is how life used to be.

We now live in a world where everything is sped up, faster is better. Shorter is more efficient. We type in shorthand and sometimes even speak it. The world of LOL and OMG has become a boring reality. We all do it, I can throw no stones. This actually all came about because of a conversation I was having this morning via FB Messenger. (One of my most frequent means of communication, part of being an introvert I guess.) Anyway, I was having a chat with my BFF (see there it is again) and her story was particularly hilarious and I kept finding myself typing LOL as a response. After the third time I said, “wow, I really think I need to broaden my vocabulary”. But, I mean, what do you do throw in a haha here and there? I guess there are some things that are just hard to replace in text. Maybe I will start using emojis instead.

But, then I started thinking, words are so under-appreciated now. We are always taking the easy way out. Statements aren't beautiful anymore, they are just statements. There is very little left to interpretation. I don't think there are many statements made today that will cause someone to stop in their tracks and truly contemplate 100 years from now. Timeless statements seem to be a thing of the past. I actually worry that kids aren't even being taught “flowery” words in classrooms today. Colorful adjectives and effective adverbs can put such a spin on an otherwise ordinary statement.


So, here is my challenge. Speak like you want to be remembered. Do you want to be known as the LOL girl or do you want to be known as someone who always spoke so that you clearly made your point and helped others to feel what you are saying? I don't know about you, but I choose the later!